On typical days, 4 days each week from 2-5pm, students will take a recreational class. Each recreational class is 2-weeks long, but may be repeated. The choices include:
- Digital Media/Photography – Required equipment: digital camera, laptop with Photoshop installed
- Horseback Riding – supervised instruction for riders at all levels. Required equipment: shoes/boots with short heel (not gym shoes).
- Tennis – instruction/play at all levels. Required equipment: tennis racquet, suitable shoes.
- Sailing – supervised instruction for sailors at all levels. Must know how to swim.
- Custom-arranged internship (contact us at email@example.com for more details)
MEET THE NATIVES
One of the biggest complaints about so-called ‘immersion’ programs is the lack of (or weirdly artificial) contact between Americans and their foreign peers. GGE addresses this problem by integrating local German students in afternoon recreational/sports activities. This allows friendships to develop in a more natural and longer-lasting way. Unlike other locations where the large population or influx of tourists inhibits meaningful contact with locals, Greifswalders are eager to meet their American peers and to introduce them to the exciting activities and beautiful spots in and around town.
3 DAYS IN BERLIN
Berlin, Germany’s capital, is our destination for an exciting 3-day visit and one of the program’s highlights. We will travel by bus and stay at one of Berlin’s centrally-located hotels. All accommodation, travel, and meals on the Berlin Excursion are included. We’ve planned a wide-range of fun and interesting activities:
- Bus sight-seeing tour (Royal Place, Berlin Wall, Holocaust Memorial, Parliament Building)
- Museum visits
- A walk down Berlin’s most famous street, Unten den Linden (‘under the linden trees’) from the imposing Brandenburg Arch to the famous Alexanderplatz
- A visit to Checkpoint Charlie and Ostgalerie, what’s left of the Berlin Wall
We’ll take the train to the nearby island of Usedom with its delightful Victorian-era architecture. There you can shop, walk, eat, swim, and rent a ‘Beach Basket’ on the magnificent white sandy beach.
OTHER WEEKEND/EVENING ACTIVITIES
These may include:
- Evening lectures with prominent guest speakers
- Outdoor theater performances
- Segel Kino (movies shown outdoors on a large sail in Museum Harbor)
- Beach volley ball
- Visit to decommissioned nuclear reactor (the only one built in Germans by Soviets during the ‘Cold War’)
- Bike rides to Ludwigsburg (manor house, beach); Wieck (fishing village)
- Eldena (monastery ruin, beach)
- Train/bike excursions to beach resorts on Usedom and in nearby Poland
- Fisherman’s Festival (Wieck)
- Hunting for amber at the beach
- Art/history museum tour
- Visit to ‚Beekeeper George‘